Re: Altivec Linux support in GCC

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 04:20 PM, Daniel Egger wrote:

Am Die, 2003-04-15 um 23.36 schrieb Aldy Hernandez:

Well I propose to have -maltivec imply -mabi=altivec; it doesn't matter
if it historically it is an ISA selection flag. I propose it, am
willing to code it, and dispel the average Joe's confusion. For that
matter, the patch is included below. If you propose something else and
not implement it, it really doesn't gain us anything.

How can one turn that off again? As long as Linux is not saving parts of
the registerset -mabi=altivec causes a useless slowdown in hotspots of
the software.

If you configure powerpc-eabialtivec or powerpc-linux-gnualtivec, GCC will set -maltivec and -mabi=altivec automatically. If you want to turn the ABI off, you need to pass -mabi=no-alitvec.

If you configure for classic powerpc, then you just pass -maltivec, since it's only an ISA option.