performance regressions, profiling _of_ gcc

	Hi,

In view of the recent compile time regressions in gcc versions I wanted to do
some (detailed) profiling of gcc (mostly g++, I am particularly interested in
the C++ front end).

To this end I need more detailed information than -ftime-report gives me.

I did some googling, but found no satisfactory links. For example, there was
no response to message http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/1999-11n/msg00333.html.
The configuration docs ( http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html ) briefly
mention the --enable-coverage option. I read these and decided to configure
gcc (HEAD) with

	--enable-coverage=opt --disable-checking

and bootstrapped the compiler, but I am clueless how to proceed. I was
assuming that running the new compiler on some test file would result in
files suitable for analysis _of gcc_ with gcov/gprof, but nothing seems to
appear.

Was I mistaken? Are there any other options? Is it possible to tell configure
to simply add the extra cflag `-pg' to stages 2 and 3 of the compiler build?
Should an external tool, like valgrind rather be used for performance
analysis?

Pointers to (well-hidden :-) docs about profiling gcc are appreciated? If no
such docs exist, brief instructions would be welcome, and I will try to
contribute some documentation myself.

Thanks in advance,

	Jan van Dijk

--