Re: [RFC] CFG hooks for rtl/tree specificities

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have your opinion on the following reorganization of the CFG functions.
>
> I propose to keep all the functions that deal with IR specificities into a hook structure
> a little bit the same way we handle the specificities of a language front-end in langhooks.

I like it :)

> These functions are initialized during the CFG construction.  This would allow the CFG
> analyzers and optimizers to work at both the RTL and the tree levels.

I think all we need is to have two cfg_hooks pointer and switch betwen
cfg_rtl_hooks, cfg_rtl_layout_hooks and cfg_tree_hooks so we don't need
to fill up the structure each time.

> cfghooks.h will contain something like:
> ----
>
> /* Initializations specific to either the tree or the rtl level.  */
> extern void tree_register_cfg_hooks    PARAMS ((void));
> extern void rtl_register_cfg_hooks     PARAMS ((void));
>
> struct cfg_hooks
> {
>   basic_block (*cfgh_split_edge)       PARAMS ((edge));
>   void (*cfgh_cfg_layout_initialize)   PARAMS ((struct loops *));
>   void (*cfgh_cfg_layout_finalize)     PARAMS ((void));
>   void (*cfgh_verify_flow_info)        PARAMS ((void));
> };
>
> /* The following macros act either at the tree level or at the rtl level.  */
> #define split_edge(e)                  cfg_hooks.cfgh_split_edge (e)
> #define cfg_layout_initialize(l)       cfg_hooks.cfgh_cfg_layout_initialize (l)
> #define cfg_layout_finalize()          cfg_hooks.cfgh_cfg_layout_finalize ()
> #define verify_flow_info()             cfg_hooks.cfgh_verify_flow_info ()
>
> extern struct cfg_hooks cfg_hooks;

This looks nice.
It would be interesting to think about what operations do we really need
- for instance split_edge should be probably implementable already via
the primitive operations (basic block creation, edge redirection).  Our
current API is not 100% ready for that so we will probably need cleanup
on the way.

I would be happy about switching to the hooks first and leaving it to me
to cleanup the APIs if you preffer.

Honza