Re: Huge Increase in Unstripped Executable Size G++ 2.95 to 3.2

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:29:13AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> For one thing, if you're saying "should be handled by the preprocessor"
> then you don't understand what Jim means by duplicated includes.  He's
> talking about multiple object files which include the same header; it's
> a _linker_ optimization.

Yes, that sentence was wrong I agree.

But I must admit I still don't understand how stabs would manage to
not emit information from include files in multiple object files.
It's impossible without multi file optimization, the compiler
has no way to know what it already emited for other object files.
Only the linker could do it. But dwarf2 is incredibly bloated not
only for final executables but for object files too. So in short
it still doesn't make much sense to me.

-Andi (who really just wishes -gstabs would work on x86-64 too and he
could use that instead of having to dedicate 1+GB disk space for each build
source tree with debugging information)