Re: compile server design document

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Per Bothner wrote:

> As I've hinted, I have been working for Apple on a "compile server".
> The idea is that the compiler when in server mode will re-use trees
> from header files.  I've attached a semi-detailed design documnent.
> This is in texinfo format (so it can later be merged into gccint.text).
> To generate html do: makeinfo --html gcc-server.texi

The dependency system seems very complicated (necessarily) and potentially
fragile.  Note that any place where an identifier is lexed as not
currently declared as a typedef, this must be treated as having a negative
dependency, and any declaration of an identifier must probably depend on
either any previous declaration in scope or on the absence of a previous
declaration.

Is there any prior art for this in other compilers, and if so can you
point to their documentation for what dependencies are handled and how?

This is an area where seeing the testsuite for the dependency handling
would be more useful at this point than the source code for an
implementation of it.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk