Re: Let's backport speedups from 3.4 to 3.3

"Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi at caip dot rutgers dot edu> writes:

|  > From: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
|  >
|  > --On Thursday, February 13, 2003 02:50:14 AM +0900 Kaoru Fukui
|  > <k_fukui at highway dot ne dot jp> wrote:
|  >
|  > > On 13 Feb, To: ghazi at caip dot rutgers dot edu wrote:
|  > >> On 12 Feb, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
|  > >>> I've heard some mention that 3.4 is faster in some cases than 3.3.
|  > >>>
|  > >>> I know several speedup tweeks have been made since the branch was
|  > >>> created.  Not all of them have been backported.
|  >
|  > Just to make sure I'm clear, I don't object in any way to backporting
|  > changes that speed up the compiler -- as long as the person approving them
|  > feels that they're safe.  Let's not do anything too radical, but relatively
|  > simple changes are fine.
|
| Are there any more anyone would like to recommend for consideration?

Not one that is currently on mainline.
I'm actually working on a patch that speeds up name lookup phase.
I'll like first to apply it on mainline and a day or two after on
3_3-branch.  That patches essentially removes "tree" abusing.
Unfortunately, I'm on the road and don't know exactly when I'll be in
position to submit and apply the patch (but that will happen certainly
before next Monday).

-- Gaby