Machine and hosting donation for the GCC project

Hi,

In 2002, I contributed to the FSF France 10000 euros (half coming from tax deduction)
<http://france.fsfeurope.org/donations/donators-money.fr.html>

For 2003, I'd like to contribute hardware to the GCC project, so
that contributors to the GCC project can set up automatic build and regression tools
and various other things could help the GCC project. (This
is in addition to what various people and companies already provide.)

FSF France currently benefits from rack space and network
connectivity in Paris France kindly donated by Free (www.free.fr) under the supervision
of Antoine Levavasseur who said it was ok to add some machines
provided that we use the same space, do not consume excessive
bandwitch and don't need constant on site intervention. Loic Dachary who manages
the FSF machines there (with a few others :) is okay
to replace the 2x4U old machines there by a
a more powerful 1U server and so this leaves 7U for new machines.

I have no particular experience in the harware purchase area,
I just checked dell.fr and a Dual P3 1.3GHz, 512M RAM, 36G disk
machine is around 2200 euros, for an equivalent
donation on my side, that would be four machines so
three left for GCC, and 4U of space left (one old machine stays).

Provided that the GCC projects agrees that this is indeed
beneficial and doable, to move on a few points are to be considered:

- May be other people or company want to contribute too, they're
welcome. You might want to check with their local
FSF or libre software representation if you can channel tax-deducible donations
to this project, or ship useful harware to Paris.

- Advices on where to get better/cheaper or donated harware
are welcomed. If people have contacts with hardware makers or
potential sponsors, I'd appreciate if they could either get in touch with
them and talk about this project or give me their reference.

- There might be other connectivity options elsewhere.

- May be other hardware (P4, Athlon, PowerPC, SPARC, Alpha, ...) can be of use,
but we can use GDB/RTEMS simulators otherwise.

- Discussion on how to decide what's useful and who does what
needs to take place. One idea is to use the GCC CVS
and the regular commit procedure and have the slave machines
do things based on what they take out the GCC CVS. Output
would then be rsync'ed somewhere to be archived, processed and
displayed on one or more web site.

- Suggestions and ideas welcomed :).

Sincerely,

--