Re: GCC 3.3 compile speed regression - AN ANSWER

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 tm_gccmail@mail.kloo.net wrote:

> By programming in C, you are requiring a compilation pass. Pedantically,
> if you really want to minimize the number of transformations performed on
> your code, you could program in assembly language.

Guys, realize that my personal main beef isn't compile speed per se. And
as I've mentioned before, even the linux-kernel mailing list discussion
didn't start off about compile speed.

It started off by comparing the result of the compile, and finding that
newer compilers pretty _consistently_ generate bigger and slower code.

That, together with the fact that newer compilers _also_ end up being
pretty much unusable on older machines just adds insult to injury.

A lot of people want to still use 2.95.x simply because it is faster and
generates better code. And the main problems with that are:

 - it's no longer supported by the gcc team, so bug-reports are pretty
   much ignored and tagged as "fixed in 3.2.x" or something.

   This largely was why we eventually had to abandon 2.7.x as a kernel
   compiler, because there were just too many bugs that nobody would
   backport. Again, 2.7.x was generally faster than 2.95, and generated
   largely comparable code.

 - the mixing of C/C++/ObjC/Ada/Fortran in one project means that since
   C++ has improved so much, all vendors basically _have_ to ship never
   versions of gcc, even if the C part of gcc has apparently _deproved_.

See?

> So, why don't you program in assembly? It's because C is a more convenient
> representation for expressing program functionality.

Your argument makes no sense. It's been pointed out several times that gcc
is on the order of 4-6 times slower than comparable other C compilers. Not
assembly language. C.

And I've pointed out several times that the generated code quality doesn't
seem to be improving, and I've not gotten any pushback on that either. I
bet most gcc people know this in their hearts.

So why do you bother to argue against the fact that gcc is slow, and tell
me that I should use assembly language? Your argument is totally
irrelevant and pointless.

				Linus