Re: GCC 3.3 compile speed regression - THE GRAPH

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Neil Booth wrote:

> Fergus Henderson wrote:-
>
> > There is at least *some* good news: for this benchmark,
> > `-fsyntax-only' is now 33% faster than it was in 2.95.4!
>
> Most, if not all of that is probably integrated CPP.

Which absorbed less than one release's worth of slack in the rest of the
compiler; and speeding up the C front end might absorb another less than
one release's worth of slack - useful, but we need to get rid of the slack
in the parts of the compiler that accumulate it (which isn't mainly the
front ends), after which improvements in the speed of front ends might be
more noticeable.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk