Re: GCC 3.3 compile speed regression - AN ANSWER

On Monday 10 February 2003 01:58 pm, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> Op ma 10-02-2003, om 20:47 schreef Mike Stump:
> > On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 06:31 AM, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> > > Who is complaining?  If we can define the group for which this is a
> > > concern, then perhaps we can define a way to satisfy that group.
> >
> > Apple is complaining on behalf of our users.
>
> The thread on linux-kernel was also quite clear.  Some people even
> discussing a fork.
>
> Greetz
> Steven

Great!  Finding a group isn't going to take long.

An observation concerning (GNU/)Linux users by
"chris.danx" <chris DOT danx AT ntlworld DOT com>
that speed is a frequent concern.

An observation on behalf of Apple user's by
Mike Stump <mstump AT apple DOT com>

An observation on behalf of OpenBSD developers by
Marc Espie <espie AT quatramaran DOT ens DOT fr>

All good leads to finding involved people with speed on
their minds.

Nothing I suggest should be read as a change from the
overall goal, expressed in a private mail to me as:

<quote>
Hum...  but the production people want both in one compiler!

We want new passes like ssa, newreg and so on, we also want speed...
</quote>

Buried at the end of my first post was the first version of my suggestion:

<self>
My suggestion:
Create two "mainline" compiler projects; the current GCC project
and a production compiler version project.
</self>

So let me refine that suggestion:

Project 1) Per current practice;
Continued development of existing(?) new passes.
Development in both areas of algorithm improvement
and algorithm implementation.

Project 2) New top branch;
Concentrated effort on improvement of compiler infrastructure.

I use the word "infrastructure" to imply more than just the internal
data structures, their allocation and de-allocation.

Read that as a "place marker" for the entire program environment
that both the new and existing passes are implemented within.

Mike