Scope statement ???

Hi,
It seems people won't have much interest to answer in gcc group. Anyway hopefully I'll get atleast some information ab't my this question.
While coming to a scope statement in the gcc flow, it allocates the block_stack & nesting_stack of the cfun->stmt structure. How is it related to the assembly generation from the RTL chain ??
Is it mandatory to allocate for it ?? Can't we proceed without it as scope statement emits only two note rtx(NOTE_INSN_BLOCK_BEG & NOTE_INSN_DELETED) which are not mandatory in RTL chain.

Thanks in Adv..
Mishra