Re: GCC 3.3, GCC 3.4

Hi,

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> > I have two concerns about the March 15 deadline.
> >
> > First, a technical concern: people have also been talking about putting
> > the new register allocator into 3.4.  I'd like to see that as a third
> > major piece of new technology, which would imply a later deadline.
>
> What's the prognosis for the register allocator?  When will it be ready
> to check in, and when will the bugs be out?

There are parts in the regalloc branch, which are not in a mergeable
state and I'm not optimistic about getting them into such until the
deadline (partly they are still buggy, and partly they duplicate so much
code, that it's not funny).  This includes all the machinery around
pre-reload.  I believe, it's possible to merge most parts except
pre-reload to mainline in six weeks, but it requires some porting in the
allocator code itself (to not make use of pre-reload), so is not simple
copy-over work.

Ciao,
Michael.