Re: GCC 3.3, GCC 3.4

Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net> writes:

> Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:
>
> | Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com> writes:
> | >
> | > I've versioned the runtimes assuming that 3.3 will not break the 3.2
> | > ABI, and that 3.4 will. Lacking clear guidance on what to do, I think
> | > this was an ok decision.
> |
> | There are groups out there, such as the LSB (Linux Standard Base)
> | effort, who are working on the assumption that the 3.2 ABI will
> | *never* be changed again.
>
> I believe the agreement was that the 3.2 and 3.3 won't be changed for
> the 3.2.x and 3.3.x series.
>
> But that agreement does not export to higher versions.  People reading
> more into that agreement should be advised to coordinate/ask people
> workiing the C++ ABI and GCC/g++.

I'm relaying this to the LSB working group in charge of C++ and also
to the Debian gcc team -- Debian is presently in the process of
transitioning to the 3.2 ABI and I am pretty sure they also were
operating under the assumption that it would not change ever again.

Comments from both these teams are requested.

zw