Re: GCC 3.3, GCC 3.4

On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 03:47  PM, Neil Booth wrote:

I agree the defaults might not be "right", and that in a sense getting
them "right" improves the compiler.  But it's not really improved the
compiler, if you see what I mean.
I would look at it a different way.  It does improve the compiler, so
we should do it.  But it doesn't identify where the 3.2 -> 3.3
regression came from; I think we're still no closer to identifying
that regression than we were.

We should improve user experience, but we also have to learn what
changed between 3.2 and 3.3 that made things worse.  I hate to think
that we'll release a 3.3 that's worse than 3.2 and that we won't even
know why.

			--Matt