Re: Bug with -finline-functions and va_start on FreeBSD

In article <20030130044051.GA16724@ncsa.uiuc.edu>,
Bill Wendling<wendling@ncsa.uiuc.edu> writes:

> I'm not sure what you mean by a "FreeBSD ports" version of gcc. I'm not a
> FreeBSD hacker...more of a GNU/Linux one :-).

Ah, sorry Bill; I know how that feels from the other direction. ;-)

> As for the name of the
> compiler, I'm not sure if it's one that our sysadmin picked up off of the
> 'net or built by himself (we have several versions of gcc to try our
> software against).

When the compiler is called gcc32 on a FreeBSD system, it was probably
built using this ports(7) command or the portupgrade(1) equivalent:
``cd /usr/ports/lang/gcc32; make install'' rather than with the FSF
sources directly.  In particular, that build process includes patches
not present in the FSF tree.  (I include this paragraph in this thread
only to fully explain the background context regarding what happened.)

>> gcc32 -E t.c | grep include | nawk '{print $3}' | sort | uniq
> "/usr/include/stdarg.h"
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^ This means that gcc 3.2.1, as installed on your system,
                is not seeing its own copy of <stdarg.h>.
[...]
> "/usr/sdt/lib/gcc-lib/i386-portbld-freebsd4.7/3.2.1/include/machine/ansi.h"
                             ^^^^^^^ FYI, this confirms it was a port build.

> Would this still qualify then as the FreeBSD problem you're talking
> about?

Yes, you have this reportable problem (to freebsd.org not the FSF, please):

"[gcc 3.2.1 version of] stdarg.h not installed when lang/gcc32 port built"

Thank you for the report and confirming the root issue.  BTW, if you
study /usr/ports/lang/gcc32/files/patch-va (on a FreeBSD system with
src ports installed), you will note that if you remove the first thunk
of that patch then your observed problem will go away.  Someone local
to you with knowledge of building FreeBSD ports could fix it for you.

Regards,
Loren