Re: 3.3-branch QA assessment

Joe> There are 118 high-priority PRs.  One, about Java race
Joe> conditions, doesn't look like it is really a regression

Actually, it is.  The new direct-threaded interpreter has the races,
the old, slower interpreter did not.  So in theory it is possible for
code which worked on the old interpreter to fail with the new
interpreter.  If need be, though, we can turn off direct threading on
the release branch.  It all depends on whether I can find the time to
fix this bug soon.

Joe> I'm afraid folks are going to hate me, but I'm seriously
Joe> suggesting just dumping the 3.3 branch, unless someone can
Joe> explain to me why I'm completely wrong.

Doesn't this imply that our development plan doesn't model reality
very well?

My impression is that much more work is being done on the trunk than
on the 3.3 branch (not to discount the work that has been done on
3.3).  Would you say that is accurate?  Suppose we made a 3.4 branch
and tried to stabilize it.  Would the situation be any different?  I
think people would most likely continue to focus on their new
development and leave the new release branch to mostly languish.

Tom