Re: RFC: Named warnings

--On Friday, January 24, 2003 02:11:31 PM -0800 Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com> wrote:

I like this idea as a way of organizing things.  It's more complicated,
but I think it could be a sort of layer superimposed on basic machinery;
in other words, names can be arbitrary, but if you use the hierarchical
scheme for a name, you get to ask for groups of warnings "for free".
It's also worth thinking about what you're going to do when the (English)
message changes.  -Wunused-class is a mnemonic for:

 warning: class `T' is unused

but if it later becomes apparent that a better way to word the error is:

 warning: class `T' is defined but never referenced

then it's pretty confusing.  I know that as we tweak the new parser,
both warning error messages will probably change substantially.