Re: new parser: error recovery needs work

Fergus Henderson wrote:

On 16-Jan-2003, Janis Johnson <janis187@us.ibm.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 02:11:05PM -0500, Phil Edwards wrote:

You really don't want to rely on the text of an error message not changing
over time.  For this kind of thing to work, we need error messages to have
numbers (like every other compiler does, and with reason).

Oooh, and with message numbers it's possible to add options to enable
or disable individual warnings.

We've discussed this before.  The concensus last time (as I understood it)
was that alphanumeric message codes where a better alternative to message
numbers.  Message codes are easier to remember, more self-documenting,
and avoid collisions between new warnings added on different CVS branches
or in different repositories.

IIRC there was significant opposition to message numbers, because they
are too cryptic and because of the problem with collisions, but I don't
recall anyone objecting to alphanumeric message codes.

As it happens, one of my job tasks for next week is to present a formal
proposal for how to add this, which I've been calling "named warnings",
to GCC.  So if you can hold out for a few more days, there will be
something specific to flame... :-)

Stan