Re: Thoughts on doxygen for internal documentation

Am Don, 2003-01-16 um 19.03 schrieb Theodore Papadopoulo:

> As an example, I always wondered why the rule of 80 columns is still
> that strict. IMHO often code can be more readable using longer lines
> (still with a reasonnable limit, just an higher one).  Yes I know, some
> people still have a very old 80 columns VT100, but those cannot be
> that many ? Indeed, mail reader sometimes have this 80 limit constraints,
> but then problems with line wrapping by mailers happen also with 80
> columns... So why keeping this constraints and not updating it to
> something more sensible such as eg 132 colums.

I really doubt that having more characters per line increases
readability, rather I claim *really* needing that much space means
that someone is doing something outright stupid and not well-thought,
sometimes because he/she/it simply doesn't know better, but forcing
her/him/it to break the line also enforces reconsidering the source
sometimes leading to easier and/or more effective code.

No, my terminal is not limited to 80 characters though I appreciate
that measure because I can fit exactly 4 80x25 in X on my screen. :)

--
Servus,
       Daniel