Generated unique labels

In the Projects file:

===
Generated unique labels. Have some way of generating distinct
labels for use in extended asm statements. I don't know what a
good syntax would be.
===

Has this been done yet?  If not has anyone been assigned to it?

Where would this be done?  What is an extended asm statement,
is this asm code generated by the back end?  Is there any
distinction between asm and extended asm?  So things peculiar
to local labels can't be used?

Would this be a function, let's say:

...in file uniquelabel.h

char *
gen_unique_label();

...in file uniquelabel.c
char *
gen_unique_label()
{
	/* Get some memory or just return a pointer?? */
	char *the_label = (char *)safe_malloc();

	/*
	Let's say we only use a static char array
	and return a pointer to it.  The caller gets it
	and copies the string straight away, but
	this seems silly.  Functions should take
	care of it.
	*/

	/*
	Or perhaps allocate a string, the caller
	can do free(the_label)
	*/

	/* do stuff */
	return (the_label);