Re: source mgt. requirements solicitation

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 11:41:04PM +0200, Momchil Velikov wrote:

>     Linus> In short, your argument is elitist and simply _wrong_.
>
> *shrug* That's my explanation to what I observe - more people develop
> kernels than compilers.  Particular compiler's development model or
> patch review and acceptance policy do not matter at all - if they are
> an obstacle people's creativity would be redirected somewhere else.
>
> I may be wrong.  But I'm yet to hear a more credible explanation for
> this simple fact.

Maybe it's true because for writing compiler optimizations one
should have some knowledge in mathematics.  Most of the new techniques
developped for optimizing compilers use abstract representations
based on mathematical objects (such as graphs, lattices, vectorial spaces,
polyhedras, ...)

Maybe we're wrong but the percentage of mathematicians who contribute
to GCC could be slightly bigger than for LK.

Sebastian