Intel C++ and gcc: 9 December Update

Hello,

Over the last few days, I've made some changes and additions to the compiler
comparison:

http://www.coyotegulch.com/reviews/intel_comp/intel_gcc_bench2.html

This is likely to be the last update before gcc 3.3 is released.

The most significant change is the addition of compile times and generated
code sizes. I also changed the options used with Intel C++ 7.0 at the
suggestion of a couple Intel techs, but that has not made any significant
differences in the numbers.

I continue to seek illumination about optimizing with both compilers.

Once the holidays pass, I'll be expanding the review to include two new,
large benchmarks that I'm developing. I also hope to upgrade my Linux
hardware to a Pentium 4 or Athlon MP system. Given the kind of work I do, I
prefer multi-processor Linux systems -- and those can be a tad pricey for us
poor, starving writer/consultants. ;)

Thanks.

..Scott

--