Re: gcc 3.2.1/binutils 2.13.1/newlib 1.10.0 cross status report

> Target    "binutils 2.13.1"  "gcc 3.2.1 + newlib 1.10.0"  "gdb 5.2"
> sparc-elf     yes                     yes                   yes

My question, still unanswered, is how do you get the compiler to do
anything USEFUL on Solaris2.x?  Admittedly I've been away from gcc for
nearly 4 years, but what happened to the "./configure; make" simplicity
of 2.7.2.3?

I just got finished REcompiling gnu sed-4.0.3.  There wasn't a whisper
that the binary was broken until trying to compile mutt, at which time
it became clear that sed had lost libiconv functions.  The sed configure
script hasn't the foggiest what to do either, so you have to manually
edit the generated Makefile to doctor up LDFLAGS, LIBICONV and LIBS.
(You don't pass those as environment variables either, because then it
thinks you're cross compiling!?)

The only configure script I've found yet that comes close to producing
a makefile compatible with binutils 2.13.1 and gcc 3.2.1 is the one
that came with texinfo-4.3, and even it botched libncurses.

Well, I did learn one thing.  You be sure to do "gmake check" before
installing ANY binary built with binutils 2.13.1 + gcc 3.2.1.

henry nelson