Re: Dumping RTL???

Svein E. Seldal wrote:
> > Andrew Haley wrote:
> > It's deliberate because we don't want someone to be able to use the
> > front end of gcc with an unfree back end.
>
> Hmm... gcc is open source... A company like this could ""simply"" alter
> gcc to produce complete RTL output and then use their unfree backend
> anyways? Given that they release the gcc-patch-source, am I right? Or is
> this sceanrio merely academic?

That is certainly correct.  In fact, if you ask on the list, people will
point out the C backend that is available in the archives, but that was
not applied.  As with many political problems, this one has an easy
solution that will never happen, and the current approach is flawed in
obtaining the ideals that are supposed to be upheld.  :(

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/
http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/Projects/