Intel C++ vs. gcc: New Numbers for New Versions

Hello,

I've just posted preliminary numbers for gcc 3.2.1 and Intel C++ 7.0 at:

http://www.coyotegulch.com/reviews/intel_comp/intel_gcc_bench2.html

The number of requests for this information has been overwhelming. In spite
of my desire to wait for more feedback from developers, I decided to post
the current numbers with an eye toward making another update in a week or
two.

Nothing much has changed, really, since the May comparison. People want to
see the numbers, though -- so here they are!

The lack of change is not surprising. GCC has been undergoing a refinement
process involving ABI and regression patches; most of the new Intel features
relate to issues that aren't covered by the benchmarks I can run
(hyperthreading support, for instance, can only be tested on an HT-enabled
processor, which I don't have.)

In many ways, comparing gcc and Intel C++ is an apples-and-oranges affair,
given that each has strengths in different areas. How to compare Intel's
support for OpenMP against gcc's portability across platforms, that is the
question.

Note that gcc 3.3 is on the horizon (mid-December, I'm told), providing
another opportunity to keep these numbers updated.

I intend to write thorough reviews of both products in the next week or two.
These complex and powerful tools need comprehensive analysis. For now, the
benchmark numbers will satiate my readers (I hope!). Given the gcc schedule,
I'm looking to write-up Intel C++ 7.0 sometime in the next week, followed by
a gcc 3.3 review mid-December.

As always, I'm looking for any rational feedback on these articles.

Thanks.

Scott Robert Ladd
Coyote Gulch Productions,  http://www.coyotegulch.com
No ads -- just very free (and somewhat unusual) code.