Re: Irony

NB: I'm not interested in discussing GNU/Linux naming, so please
don't CC me on that (off-topic) discussion.

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Marc Espie wrote:

> In article <E18Hmge-0002BD-00@fencepost.gnu.org> you write:
> >One of the sad ironies of the GNU Project is that people give us
> >awards in the name of "Linux"--not realizing that the system they are
> >talking about is GNU.  Where an award is meant to honor people's work,
> >this one actually minimizes our work.  (For more explanation, see
> >http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html.)  They also describe our
> >community as "open source", connecting GCC with the wrong movement.
> >(See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.)
>
> >I'm going to write to Rosemarie Schuster politely to ask them to help
> >straighten out these confusions.
>
> What does this have to do with the gcc mailing-list ?

Since two people have now stated that the message was off-topic,
perhaps it's in order to tell why IMHO RMS' message was *on*
topic for the gcc@ list.  My recollection:

An award has been granted to GCC.  A message, forwarded by a FSF
person, arrived here on this list.  The message inquired about
to whom the award should be sent.  After some discussion,
persons from the SC indicated that it should be handled by FSF
themeselves; that the FSF better receive the award, since it is
a better representative than any specific person from the GCC
project.  RMS' message seems to be a comment on that award,
likely as a result of looking into the matter of the award.

Further discussion in response to RMS' message seems to have
drifted off-topic however, as some people immediately went
nonlinear seeing the remark about GNU/Linux...

brgds, H-P