Re: Assigning priorities to GNATS reports

--On Thursday, November 14, 2002 09:21:22 AM -0600 Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu> wrote:

Now that the bug fixing phase for 3.2.1 is (mostly) done, what is the
policy on setting priorities to bug reports if they are regressions? I
think the last couple of weeks have shown that we can come up with large
numbers of regressions and mark them as "high" until the last minute
before the release. This way, there will always be known regressions if
we  just go on sifting through the database.
I've been thinking about this.

All regressions should start out high.

Then, what I'd like to see (other than switching to a better defect
tracking system which has more formal support) is that we extend the:

[mainline regression]

notation.

In particular, if a bug is a regression against the current release
branch (3.2 in this case), put [3.2 regression] there.  If it's a
bug in the mainline put [3.3 regression] there.

The point of that is that when we make the 3.3 release branch, the
[3.3 regression] tags still make sense.  If we decide a defect isn't
important enough to fix, we'll either downgrade it from high, or,
perhaps, change the tag to [3.4 regression], meaning fix it in that
release.  (That might be appropriate for something that can more
easily be fixed once some functionality we expect in 3.4 will be
present.)