Re: help with different treatment of asms in 3.2 and 3.3?

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Brad Lucier wrote:

> 3.2 compiles the following code without complaint (beyond the warnings)
> and 3.3 rejects it.  The code is from the MLton ML compiler runtime; I
> know nothing about inline asms; could someone offer some advice?

> basis/Int/quot.c: In function `Int_quot':
> basis/Int/quot.c:10: error: asm-specifier for variable `eax' conflicts with asm clobber list

Now that you've read the insightful answers and perhaps the GCC
documentation on asms(!) so you know better what is referred to
by "asm clobber list" and "asm specifier", do you have any
suggestions for improving the error message?  I ask because this
type of message is often better composed by someone new to the
problem, IMHO.  It is often not right at the first attempt.

brgds, H-P