Can "call" and "call_value" pass a temp value into the function prologue in the RETURN value register?

I don't want to eat another register on function calls.
I want to pass the number of argument bytes (to support variable arguments)
in the register used for return values. I would think it's ok to pass a
value
into the function from "call_value" in the return value function,
but what about the "call" instruction?

In the "call" instruction, can I put a temporary value in(!) the return
value register
for the function prologue to use?

The register has a 1 value in the CALL_USED_REGISTERS macro, so it would be
available
for passing a value into the function, right?

Thanks,
MIke