Re: question about gcc

Hi Marc,
I'm no gcc expert, but from the little I know, compiling with gcc (at least for java, ada, fortran 77 and probably the gpc pascal port) goes like this:

.) the code is read, and compiled it into an abstract language, be it SIMPLE trees or RTL, by the frontend
.) optimizations are done on SIMPLE trees
.) trees are lowered to RTL
.) more optimizations are done ar RTL level by the backend
.) RTL are translated into assembler

then gcc calls the asembler (ie. GNU as) to make them into machine language (object file) and the linker (eg. GNU ld) to make the final program/library.

I hope ths was clear and correct enough.
If is there somoene more expert than me willingly to correct my ramblings, please do so :-)

fwyzard