Re: real.c implementation

> I think the question was more along the lines of why the existing
> infrastructure wasn't improved as opposed to building your own...

The Ada front end requires arbitrary precision real arithmetic to be
implemented. This is pretty Ada specific, but of course the routines could
be used in other languages if anyone decided this was useful (I can't see
any real use).

The Ada floating-point model is pretty specific to Ada and is for instance
quite different from the Java model.

Note that the use of the arbitrary precision arithmetic in Ada has nothing
to do with the code generator per se (obviously any float constants that make
it to the code generator have restricted precision and restricted range).