Re: How is generic SIMD support supposed to work?

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 02:46:28PM +0200, Jan Hubicka wrote:
>   __v4si val = {1,2,3,4};
>     return val;
> }
> and I hope this to be compiled into static initializer loaded at once.
> Unforutnately this does not happen, but even worse compiler dies:

What happens on other architectures is that this value gets
loaded into 4 integer registers, and the subregging works as
expected.  That's going to be prohibitive on x86, so we either
need to arrange for such pseudos to get allocated to the stack
(via CLASS_CANNOT_CHANGE_MODE_P), and/or come up with another
mechanism (via named patterns, I assume) for the code generator
to ask to read or set a vector element.

r~