Re: Slow/Swappy C++ compilation

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 12:58:30PM +1300, Tony Bryant wrote:
> Update on my 160Mb compilation issue:
>
> -fmem-report shows it only uses 10M!
>
> almost exactly the same as the non-swappy compilation (i.e written using
> composition rather than inheritance)
>
> There's obviously something being allocated thats not included in the memory
> report?  Any ideas where I should start looking?  Perhaps related to template
> instantiation?

-fmem-report only reports memory allocations made via the garbage
collector interface, and which are still live at the end of the
translation unit.  If the 160Mb eventually becomes garbage and is
reclaimed, or if it's not under GC control at all, you won't see it
in -fmem-report.

Patches to rectify this are welcome.

zw