Re: Website in XHTML

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 08:14:25AM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Janis Johnson wrote:
> > Thanks for pointing that out so we can fix it.
> >
> > This file is generated from gcc/doc/install.texi, and the problems are
> > in the generated XHTML commands.  For those of you who understand what
> > those tools are doing and what might be going wrong, or if the wrong
> > version of the tools is being used, here are some of the problems with
> > the generated html file:
> >
> >   - end tag for "meta" omitted, or tag not ended with "/>"
> >
> >   - some attribute values in meta tags are not quoted
> >
> >   - no </p> and </li> tags are generated
> >
> >   - an <hr> tag should be <hr />
>
> I'm out of office, and for security problems I cannot access gcc.gnu.org
> via SSH, but perhaps you could check whether the version of makeinfo on
> gcc.gnu.org is the most current one (the package is called texinfo, but
> the output of  makeinfo --version  is relevant here).
>
> If it's not up-to-date, please ask overseers@gcc.gnu.org to update, else
> it would be a good idea to contact the developers of makeinfo and report
> these problems.

When I run doc/texi2html using makeinfo version 4.2 I get the same
problems that are listed above.

The texinfo documentation says "The HTML generated is mostly standard
(i.e., HTML 2.0, RFC-1866)."  It looks like we should use different
headers for html files generated by makeinfo, and don't include the
compliance claim in the footer.

Janis