Re: Lamer questions re PC install of gcc, gcc FAQ

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 05:43:57PM -0400, Ken Nelson wrote:
> At this point it looks like I'm expected to snag the whole 200 MB+
> Cygnus package and then cherry-pick the gcc out of it...? Tried this,
> and a lot of the include files (math.h, stdlib.h, and others) didn't get
> installed. I may have a corrupt download.

Possibly you're working with an older version of the Cygwin installer?
The one I got from cygwin.com last week lets me click on a few packages
and be done with it.  Off the top of my head, you'll need the gcc package,
and the binutils package.

> 2) Why isn't this (installing just gcc on a windows box) better
> explained in the FAQ? I'd be surprised if no-one else has had this
> problem.

Which FAQ?  The main GCC FAQ doesn't give a lot of space to Windows
installations, because a) it's such a freaking idiosyncratic platform,
doing so would take more space than the notes for all the other *nix
platforms combined, and b) the Cygwin FAQ covers it much better.

Note that gcc@gcc.gnu.org is intended for development /of/ GCC, not
development /with/ GCC.  Since you're installing a precompiled version, the
best place to go with questions is the Cygwin mailing list on cygwin.com.
(They have both a FAQ and a searchable list archive.)

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002