Re: formats and syslog question

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 06:24:04PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:

 > Sorry, no idea for a non-icky syntax yet.
 > On the other hand, I consider syslog() to be much more useful than printk,
 > as syslog is universal among unix systems, whereas printk is limited to
 > one single variant.  Maybe Jason R. Thorpe will have further ideas, as
 > I know that NetBSD has a custom version of the printf format for their
 > kernel printf ?

In NetBSD, we actually hacked our in-tree compiler to understand the
kernel printf formats, and made that compiler also -D__KPRINTF_ATTRIBUTE__
so that the headers would know about the presence of that support.

In the mean time, we've been actively removing the custom formats from
the kernel printf, instead using explicit function calls to format the
"weird" things.