Re: HPUX C++ ABI

Daniel Berlin wrote:
> > Wear does the line get drawn ?
>
> At bug compatibility. These are *bugs* in aCC.
(unless I misunderstand) HP have declared them features. In part
because that's what the spec said at the time they implemented it.
In one sense they are bugs, but as we know, that can be a fuzzy
line. The C++ ABI on HP is what HP says it is. We have the choice of
being compatible with it or not.

The C structure layout is full of specific hacks to deal with
other non psABI conforming layouts (MS_BITFIELD_TYPE_MATTERS for
instance), and the C++ compiler has some hacks to be compatible with
other vendors interpretation of the C++ standard (-fms-extensions).
So there already is precedent for adding code to be compatible
with a vendors's compiler.

Personally, I'm inclined to be helpful to HP.

nathan

--
Dr Nathan Sidwell :: Computer Science Department :: Bristol University
           The voices in my head told me to say this