Re: REPOST: Announcing the basic-improvements and faster-compiler branches

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 11:49:20AM -0700, Mike Stump wrote:
> On Monday, August 26, 2002, at 12:40 AM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> >gcc-3_4-basic-improvements-branch:
> >faster-compiler-branch:
>
> Sounds good.  We talked a little bit about the later one around here.

Hi,
the original mail has missed my inbox somehow, but I will check archives as
soon as line will be again up (the flood is not good for connection).
Concerning the second branch, I've recently experimented with bootstrap using
profile feedback.  The results were about 7% time savings on compiling binutils
and more on C++ that is more CPU bound (I will measure again).  THis were
measured on Athlon, the RISCy architectures generally benefits more.

Is that considered usefull?  If so, I can make patch, I guess some distribution
builders may want to use it and we will get some testing for the feature.

Honza