Re: Building LyX 1.2.0 on HP-UX 11.11 with G++ 3.2

In message <20020823073245.A35095@oolong.il.thewrittenword.com>, Albert Chin wr
ites:
 >On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 05:38:56PM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
 >> In message <200208222245.g7MMjAXl007183@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>, "John David An
 >glin
 >> " writes:
 >>  >> But the primary symbol had to be a normal symbol with the underscore
 >>  >> prefix *and* with external scope.  The external scope restriction
 >>  >> is what killed using secondary definitions to emulate weak definitions.
 >>  >
 >>  >It's not obvious that the primary needs to be external.  I am looking
 >>  >at map_secondary_to_primary in fixups.c.  If it needs to be external,
 >>  >could it be hidden?
 >> I hadn't thought about trying to tweak the hidden bit for the primary.
 >> It's definitely worth a try -- the lack of weak symbol support is a major
 >> problem on this platform so it's worth some effort to try and make
 >> secondary definitions act like weak symbols.
 >
 >Does HP-UX handle C++ code with templates well (by "well" I mean as
 >"well" as on Solaris or Tru64 UNIX or IRIX)? The problems we're
 >running into have to do with template code.
Certainly not as well as Solaris or Linux -- the lack of weak symbols means
you get a lot of duplicate function instantiations, so the executables are
much larger and don't exhibit good locality.

jeff