Re: gcc 3.2 on Solaris 8 (libgcc_s.so problem)

> I've already deleted the gcc build that gave me problems, so I'll
> try it
> agian sometime later.

Fine.
Sorry, it works fine. I was unable to reproduce what I was seeing before.

> We are building a cross-platform app (MacOSX, Windows, Solaris,
> Linux, and hopefully FreeBSD) that needs 2-byte unicode
> characters. In "gcc 3.0.4" on Solaris this flag wasn't
> necessary to make -fshort-wchar work. However, for gcc 3.2
> on Linux it seems to be necessary, and I assumed it was now for
> Solaris as well.

Again, you should provide a testcase showing what fails without the --enable-cxx-flags="-fshort-wchar". I'd expect that with
this flag, a testsuite run fails high and low.

Look here:

This was on Linux, and I assumed it would be the same for Solaris.

> Also, I guess I don't know what system functions this would
> interfere with.

This seems somewhat fishy to me: consider the -fshort-wchar docs:

`-fshort-wchar'
     Override the underlying type for `wchar_t' to be `short
     unsigned int' instead of the default for the target.  This
     option is useful for building programs to run under WINE.

So this seems to have very limited use.  But this is probably
something for the language experts to comment upon.

	Rainer
Well, since Microsoft Visual C++ and Metrowerks Codewarrior _only_ use 2-byte wchar_t (UTF-16), we're stuck with trying to make gcc use it as well. Also, I would guess it's more than merely "useful" for WINE because of Microsoft's 2-byte wchar_t.

-Tony