Re: Faster compilation speed

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Jamie Lokier muttered drunkenly:
> David Edelsohn wrote:
>> 	I thought that obstacks are created dynamically, not statically.
>> One does not want to ever copy or grow the array.
>
> Obstacks use chunks of memory to hold many contiguous objects, so they
> offer fairly good spatial locality.  But then, so do many decent GC
> allocators (not ones using free lists, though).

Also, surely one does not *often* want to grow or copy the array: the
occasional copy isn't a problem (but you initialize it quite large
so the resizing isn't required often).

--
`Mips are real and bitrate earnest, shifting spam is not our goal;
 silicon to sand returnest, was not spoken of the soul.'