Re: Faster compilation speed

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 12:17:32PM -0700, Mike Stump wrote:
> I'd like to introduce lots of various changes to improve compiler
> speed.

Just adding my two cents to the discussion - I saw many ideas
presented in this thread that look promising, but one thing that I
didn't see mentioned was gcc's extensive sanity checking. There are
many tests which will produce an internal compiler error when merited.
This is great tool for debugging, but most of these errors should be
impossible to reach. Does anyone know how much overhead this sanity
checking in general causes, and whether there are any sanity checks
that are unusually expensive and should be considered for removal?