problem compiling gcc-3.1.1

Hi all.

I'm trying to build gcc-3.1.1 to make it work along with 3.0.4 and 2.95.3 (each in a separate subdir of /usr/local/bin and activated by a bunch of shell scripts which setup symlinks to the desired compiler version after deleting the previous links), compiler is gcc-3.0.4 and binutils is ver. 2.12.1.
configure directives : none special except those mentioned below
make directives : "make CFLAGS='-O2' LIBCFLAGS='-g -O2' LIBCPPFLAGS='-g -O2' LIBCXXFLAGS='-g -O2 -fno-implicit-templates' bootstrap"

Problem is when compiling libjava, I get an error (something like "unrecognized function", but it's not consistent, I've had some other errors during the 4-5 builds I tried with different options) which makes the build fail. But the thing is that I don't need the Java compiler -neither the library. So I tried passing options to the configure script (these were "--without-gcj", "--without-libjava", I also tried "--disable-gcj" and "--disable-libjava"), but none worked since libjava is still compiled (and fails).

So my question is : do you know of any way to disable any part of the GCC so it won't be built at all? Cause these are not documented (I didn't find any onfo anywhere, that is...) you know.

Thanks.

Snake.