Re: gcc 3.3

--On Tuesday, July 30, 2002 07:16:55 PM -0400 Jim Wilson <wilson@redhat.com> wrote:

The hope is that yes, C++ compiled with gcc 3.3 will be binary compatible
with 3.2.  However, there's no guarantees; if gcc 3.2 turns out to have
ABI bugs, like 3.1 did, then they will need to be fixed.  The hope is
that all the ABI bugs have now been caught, but no-one knows for sure.
PR 7442 submitted today reports more C++ ABI issues.  This one covers
problems with the cxxabi.h file.
This is a library ABI issue, but not a compiler ABI issue.  (Just so that
everyone understands that.)  And, it's not even clear to me that the ABI
committee meant the names of those fields to be normative.  On the other
hand, we may as well make 'em match.

I think we will continue to find C++ ABI bugs for a while.  There hasn't
been any attempt to verify the implementation against the specification.
I keep dropping hints that something might happen here...

I agree with the thrust of your point, though.