Re: Who approves write-after-approval folks?

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Joe Buck wrote:
> The SC has to approve assigning someone as the maintainer for some portion
> of the compiler (e.g. a backend, a language frontend, etc).  A maintainer
> has freedom to check in code on areas of the compiler s/he controls and
> has write-after-approval elsewhere.  We also let folks with global access
> approve write-after-approval status without going through the SC.

Actually, this hasn't been restricted to global write folks but to
well-established GCC maintainers, for the last couple of years.

(Note, I'm not making rules here, just describing the status quo.)

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> Ok to commit?
>
> --- 123,132 ----
>     fall into one of the two previous categories.  People with write
>     after approval need to submit their patches to the list; once the
>     patches have been approved by the appropriate maintainers the
> !   patches may be checked into the GCC sources.  The steering committee
> !   or a person with global write permission can <a href="#authenticated">
> !   approve for write access</a> any person with GNU copyright assignment
> !   papers in place and known to submit good patches.</p></dd>

Accordingly, I'd change this to "...or a well-established GCC maintainer
(including, but not limited to global write maintainers)...".

Please commit your patch with this change.

Thanks for bringing this up!
Gerald