Who approves write-after-approval folks?

Consider a regular contributor with GNU assignment papers in
place, known to submit good and well-tested patches, when and
who approves write-after-approval status?  Neither MAINTAINERS,
cvswrite.html, cvs.html, contribute.html nor contributewhy.html
(some but not all relevant) say anything about the non-technical
side of getting write-after-approval rights.  At first I thought
it was only the SC and the global write privs people who could
vouch for others, but I recall seeing local write privs people
do it too.  A single line in cvswrite.html would make it clear:
(at <dt>Write after approval.</dt> after first sentence).
Something like: ``For any people with GNU copyright assignment
papers in place and a history of good submitted patches, an X
can approve <a href="#authenticated">write access</a>.''  I can
add it but I have to know X.

brgds, H-P