Re: typedef-named class member functions can be public

--- Richard Kenner <kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
>     You should not check in any patch without a
> testcase, unless a maintainer
>     specifically waives that requirement.
>
> This will lead to forks.  Alexandre's concern is a
> real one.  I'd *much*
> prefer RedHat contribute the patch without a test
> case than not contribute
> the patch at all.

Test cases are important for long-term development.
I'm afraid that if a patch were checked in without
proper tests, proper tests will never be written.
Further, it opens the door for others to violate this
requirement.

When I was faced with a similar situation regarding a
patch for CVS, I made the patch publicly available
(without test cases) and referred it to those that
wanted the patch.  Eventually, some people took the
time to create the test cases (and improve upon the
original :-).  FWIW, someone is now working on
including the patch into the main CVS release.

M2C,
Noel