Re: Cygwin not respecting --without-newlib?

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 02:06:31PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> Cygwin *is* newlib.  When you build the cygwin DLL (cygwin1.dll) it
> directly incorporates the newlib objects into it.  So, you must always
> build newlib when you're building cygwin, and anything built for
> cygwin is being built for newlib.

OK; I'm not sure this helps me. :-)

Suppose you're building a combined tree targeting Cygwin.  What should
it mean to specify --without-newlib?

Should it mean "Don't build or use the newlib in the tree: use the
preinstalled Cygwin libraries, or the ones I specified with --with-libs
and --with-headers"?

Should it simply be illegal, and result in an error message?

Should it be unspecified, in which case I can change its behavior to
whatever I like for the sake of simplicity?

Currently, in a *native* Cygwin environment, the newlib in the tree
isn't built or used.

When building a cross-compiler *targeting* Cygwin, the newlib in the
tree seems to be built but not used, which just doesn't seem right.

Does the situation differ with the other target triples (powerpc-*-pe
etc)?

--Nathanael