RE: C++ binary compatibility between GCC 3.1 and GCC 3.2?

Speaking for myself, as a GCC user mainly for this, I feel it a lot clearer
to stick to the "minor releases only fix bugs but are otherwise fully
compatible" scheme; thus it seems to me that to avoid end user brain damage,
if a release with an ABI that we may reasonably expect to be compatible with
upcoming releases (but need to be incompatible with the currently almost
released 3.1.1) then it should be named 3.2.

Then what was for now named 3.2 byt GCC *developpers* (a much smaller
community than gcc *users*) may have to be renamed 3.3 if there is
incompatibilities with this 3.2 release (or major change in features), but
may just become 3.2.1 otherwise.

In all cases the numbering scheme will then remain coherent and easily
understandable by users.

Just my .02$

        Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux