Re: C++ binary compatibility between GCC 3.1 and GCC 3.2?

Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@codesourcery.com> writes:

> Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:
>
> | But if 3.1.2 was called 3.2, it would not be minor release but major, thus
> | could introduce ABI incompatibilities.
>
> As I understand people are objecting to having 3.1.x not binrary
> compatible with 3.2.y.

The problem is that people are soon going to use 3.1.x in production
environments.  If we switch today to 3.1, we're stuck with it, since
it will be binary incompatible to later versions.  But if a release
[1] from the 3.1 branch happens that ensures binary compatibilty with
later GCC versions - and this happens in the next few weeks, I expect
that the communities can switch to that version.  This should solve at
least the problems I have at SuSE.

Andreas

Footnotes:
[1]  Note I don't give a version number here.

--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de